- Alan Shepard became the first American in space? I remember vaugely seeing the black & white tv pictures.I was little.
- John Kennedy was killed? I was in second grade. We had gone out for recess & the teacher called us in. We all sat in a circle on the floor around her & she said they werent going to tell the first graders because they might cry ,but we had to be brave.She told us the news & I was so upset , not because he was the President , but because someone had killed Caroline's daddy. She is the same age as me & I have always been interested in her life. Somehow I think as a little girl, I had the best take on it. I felt it on a personal level.He was a little girl's daddy.
- Robert Kennedy was killed? I was 14. my mom woke me up & said, "they've shot Bobby"
- Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed? The "Special Report" sign came up on tv & I remember thinking, "who is dead now?"
- Neil Armstrong took that first step on the moon? This was the night before my 13th birthday. We sat up all night watching it. Back then , tv usually went off at midnight so this was a big deal. I had a space ship on my cake that year.
- Ronald Reagan was shot? My neighbor ran over & said "come look" I was pregnant with Mariah at the time.
- John Lennon was killed? Oh, my god. My husband , my roommate & I all stayed home from work, we were so upset.It poured down rain & we lay on the floor & listened to his music all day. I flet like the sun would never shine again.
- The Berlin Wall came down? I was watchng it with a friend & we thought , "wow,the best party ever!"We were deep,right?
- The US invaded Iraq the first time? I was nursing Caitlin, she was 3 months old. REM came on the radio singing"It's the end of the World as We Know It" The next day we went to a protest & I held her in my arms & thought, "what kind of world have I brought this babe into?"
- The US was attacked on 9/11/01? Caitlin was home sick with Mariah. Mariah called me on my cell phone (a big no-no in my school) I was afraid Caitlin was worse & Mariah said we had been attacked by Paris. Apparantly she misheard the work terrorist. Later a teacher came by and said that terrorists were attacking cities all over the US. We didnt' see any news till the end of the work day & rumors were flying.That night we all sat on the couch & held each other & cried.
I got this from Olddog.Let's all play!
I want to add one...Where were you when the Beatles played on Ed Sullivan? I was 7 and in the bathtub. My mom ran in with a robe & said , "Hurry, the Beatles are on tv!" I would carry around a transistor radio & pretend to faint when their songs came on.