Friday, June 24, 2005

weekend assignment #65

Weekend Assignment #65 -- Summer Song Dedications


Weekend Assignment #65: Dedicate a "summer song" to someone in your life. Could be a happy song for someone you like, a "kiss-off" song for someone you don't, or a romantic song for someone you want to know better. Point is, it has to be summery, and you have to intend it for someone.

 

Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard

Dedicated to the Lagoonatics (the teens I went on vacation with)

Ian, 14, football player, kind, wants to be tough but has a mom who yells out, "hi sweetie" when he strolls out to the beach looking manly. His delimma is being surrounded by "hot-looking girls that are like my sisters"

Cas, also 14 (the one I caught "snuggling" in the bed) "they're not my sisters!" He is tall & lanky & a moody poetic skater-boy type (if I was 14, he'd be in trouble)

Katherine,15 who pretends to be a cynic but has a strong idea of how the world should be.

Erin,almost 16, a bundle of sheer sensation,running wide open to jump off the next cliff of experience.

Molly, 17, a shameless romantic with her heart on her sleeve

Caitlin, 14, who still clings to her childhood with both hands while peering into her future,pondering the next step

the song goes...

There's a place on Ocean Avenue

where I used to sit and talk to you

we were just 16 and it felt so right

Sleeping all day , staying up all night

If I could find you now j

It would get better

we could leave this town

and run forever

let your waves crash down

and take me away

Yeah, I try to talk about the value of experience and the joy of being settled...I am lying through my teeth! I want to be them for just one summer!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is a wonderful tribute to them all. There are only a few select things I liked about being a teen, freedom being one of them.
Take Care
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Ah, to be young and carefree again.  Maybe we could bottle it and sell it!  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1127

Anonymous said...

My son really likes Ocean Ave. too. Great choice.

Gabreael

Anonymous said...

Great entry.  I enjoyed this.  :)

Ana~

Anonymous said...

Oh, to be a teen again!  The worst/best years of one's life.
Sam