Friday, June 16, 2006

camoflauge

It is 4 AM when I awake with that feeling that you get when it's time for the baby to nurse when they are infants.

That same feeling lets you know they are up to something 15 years later.

I look in the living room where 4 teenage girls were sprawled watching old Friends reruns when I went to bed.

No kids.

I go out the front door and find the girls and a few boys ,too.

"Hello" I said, quite cheerfully , considering the circumstances.

They all froze, like deer in the headlights.

Do they think I wont see them?

Being a special education teacher, I know to give specific instructions.

"Girls, you need to go inside now.'

Still friendly.

They wordlessly file past me and sit on the couch.

The boys, apparently, have turned to stone (no jokes about hardness, this is my baby here)

Further instructions seem to be in order.

"Boys, you can go home now."

No, I'm not angry.

It's like a chess game.

Their objective is to get away with everything they can.

My job is to catch them.

Only poor sports get angry playing a game!

Checkmate for mom this time!

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know of which intuition you speak of....my kids think their Momma is psychic! ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to tell my kids I could see them, even when I was sleeping. LOL
~~Kath~~
http://journals.aol.com/dklars/SecretGarden

Anonymous said...

The game is on, Marti. And the beat goes on.
{;~)>

Anonymous said...

Oh you are sooo good!!! I just love the way you deal with the kids! Great photos by the way. Thanks for sharing. Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

that's how I handle most things. Sounds like my kids. LOL.

Anonymous said...

wow Marti! I wish I had your nerves solid to the core! Sigh
Keepa fter them! let's yuo and me keep inthe coach huddle ok? shiver gee that would ahve sacred me solid
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Good move there mom!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Filing this one away for the not-so-distant future!

Tammy
http://lifeliveitormissout.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good job mom!   i like your chess game:-)~kbear

Anonymous said...

Oh, well done!  I am enjoying your journal.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Oh my... I wet my pants laughing at this!!!!   lol

I will file this in my memory banks for days to come......

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I could imagine the whole scene... loved the way you presented it. Way to go, mom. Bea

Anonymous said...

oh, DREAD...  This is what I have to look forward to!  Way to make 'um scatter with such calmness.  I'll remember this someday...  :-)  Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh I like this journal! What a great time to come along for the first time to catch an entry.

I've experienced this from both sides of that equation, and I'm not sure which is worse, catching the kids, or being the kids.

Either way, bravo to you, Mom. Something to be said for instincts!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! That is so funny and so like me, I can smell skullduggery 500 miles away and know just the right moment to phone and catch them out, even when they think Mum is a safe distance away. When they were in the same house they never stood a chance, I am an expert.

Linda.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/