Sunday, November 13, 2005

birthdays and Camporee

My baby is fifteen.

She dances so lightly across this earth she barely leaves a footprint.

She is fearless.

She looks life in the face and grins.

The colors are brighter when she enters the room.

We packed up all our stuff and headed to the woods for a Girl Scout Camporee.We wore party hats and sang at Scoutshire Woods.

Later, she will look much more sophistocated at a party with her new high school friends, but this weekend is for the ones she has played with since kindergarten

 and her mom. 

Sometimes I get too caught up in the daily-ness of life...

laundry

grocery lists

driving to pick everyone up

sometimes I need to remember why I do it all.

I need to go to the woods.

I need to watch girls shed thier new adult personas and play again games I taught them when they were small enough to hug me waist high.

I need to run all day with the little Brownies and stay up talking al night with the Cadettes.

I need to come back to myself.

The girls at our tenth year Camporee came back to themselves too.

They put on makeup before the council fire

but they laughed at the stories we tell about them when they were small

and sing the same songs.

They are still here together , after all this time.

They came and got my sleeping bag out of the leader's tent

 so I could watch the stars through the tent flap with them.

It's the highest honor I've  ever had.

We were in charge of games and I was kinda nervous since we are the original (and proud) slacker troop, but it went great!

Another year of campfires

smelly feet

bugs

laughter...

can't wait to do it again!

 

Please check here soon for pictures.

Also, if you would like, check out my homecoming'05 entry. It has pics of Caitlin now.

Make new friends but keep the old , one is silver and the other gold...

(you Girl Scouts will understand)

Love, Marti

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry; what a joy to raise a 15 y/o! What an honor to watch the stars with them :)

betty

Anonymous said...

A youthful outlook (as we remember you said awhile ago) is important to maintaining one's sanity. Stick with it, Marti.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

You took me back more years than I care to count!  I remember my own Fly-up and that of my daughter, now 38.  Wow.  Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

Daughters's at 15 sometimes poetry in motion and sometimes utter chaos! lol Happy Birthday to your lil one!

Anonymous said...

This is soooo nice...  Happy birthday to your baby!
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

I was a girl scout....

Anonymous said...

((((Marti))))) Great  job Marti! You give us so much sunshine here! Yeah, Moms could use alot more breaks instad of being the errand girl! lol I totally hear you! You rock with all of those kids. You gave them so much love ,natalie