Wednesday, November 16, 2005

News from the sunnyside

Tom is having surgery tomorrow on his shoulder. Seems that wreck that destroyed our old car that was only valued for the Grateful Dead sticker on the back windshield did a number on my man.

 He has a few severed tendons to stitch up.

I am not nervous yet, we'll see if I can hold onto the family creedo of faith and denial in the morning when they wheel him down that long cold hall.

He is calm as ever, saying, "it was just a sign that I need to slow down and look around a bit."

I think, yeah , a sign from the gods is great, but it would've done just as well to let a bird crap on the windshield and be done with it.

I am used to worrying about Tom's health, since he follows that old Irish tradition of drinking like a camel and smoking like a barbecue pit.

He is a teller of tales and a singer of songs long into the night.

His chloesterol is lowere than mine and I exercise and am careful what I eat.He subsists on fast food and whiskey.

I think he may live forever because his arteries are never clogged with meanness or pettiness.

He was born with the kindness in his heart and joy in his eyes most of us spend our lives trying to catch a shadow of.

He is so aggravating!

Can you imagine trying to have a decent marital spat with Jesus?

I am starting a second job tutoring after school.

It will mean working 12 hour days, but my family has some substance problems.

We like to eat.

Having all the utilities on at once is an indulgence we would like to become accustomed to again , also.

It is fun. The kids are really motivated, largely because their parents have paid an exorbitant sum of money to send them there and sit out in the lobby glowering at them.

It also lets me out of the constant homework battles at the house.

They say you forget the pain of childbirth.

I didn't .

However, I did block out the pain of adolescence.

It is awful!

How did I go from being the cool mom to being the bane of Caitlin's existence?

I suppose because I irrationally want her to pass ninth grade!

Poor child, being the victim of such callousness!

Well, until the next adventure...

keep on the sunnyside,

Marti

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHH Irish and a whiskey drinker.....well it's a natural diuretic and of course its a natural blood thinner too! ..Well thats my story and Im sticking to it! Wishing you good wishes and health!

Kimberleigh

Anonymous said...

Loved this; wish you could tutor my son :)

you write with such humor; wishing your husband luck with his surgery tomorrow. He must be a fantastically wonderful man with those great qualties you described.

betty

Anonymous said...

Blessings on your journey through adolescence!  I'm headed there myself for the umpteenth time.  I will pray for your husband's surgery.  Be blessed, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

Thanx, Marti, you have shown your sunny side once again, and we're grateful for that. You know, we're sure, that our best wishes go with all of you. Much good luck on the new job; just don't overdo it - Caitlin's still got 3 school years to go.
Tom sound a lot like me - fast food & bourbon all the way. You go, guy!
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

((((((((Marti)))))))))
I will call a grilfriend tomorrow and we will send some strong prayers in your direction for you and Tom.
Hang in there girlfriend!
About teens Ya! my current teen often looks over at me and yells"Becasue Mom!"
the terrible thing is I believe him And Afeter eh goes to bed when I check on him he has reverted ot that angel wolives inside of him! Weird huh marti!
Well what will they do to teh shoulder? I hope that physical therapy brings him back to us.
love,nat

Anonymous said...

I have a better understanding of what you meant when you said that the J-Land battle against the banner ads wasn't at the top of your priority list . . .  STILL, I understand that it does bother lots of journalers.  I'm not happy about it!  'Nuff said.

Marti, your husband is in my prayers as he goes in for surgery.

I also pray for your strength and energy as you take on a second job.  Your plate is really FULL right now!  Take care, sweetheart!
                                                                   Cyndy

Anonymous said...

Hope your hubby surgery turns out ok...will be in my prayers..............Kasey

Anonymous said...

How did the surgery go? Tom sounds like a great guy!

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and prayers to Tom