Wednesday, December 26, 2007

And so This Was Christmas

The best part is always Cookiefest
a tradition started when the kids were tiny.
we all got together and made cookies with them.
We kinda made them continue it for a while,
during those early difficult teen years
now they seem pretty  happy to be part of it again.



My friends and I are magic together.
So are our children.
They are bound together in ways too difficult to explain to outsiders.
The best gift we ever gave them was each other.


The family part went okay, too.
My mom and Mariah only went off on each other once and Terry and I were too busy trying to program my Ipod to pay much attention to them.
Mariah and Terry got Tom a Martin Backpacker guitar. It looks like a lute and comes in a backpack, made for camping . It's the most innovative thing I've known about in a long time and such a thoughtful gift.
things were relaxed and low-key. Mom didn't get too confused or cranky with me and I didn't join in or interfere in her and Mariah's dust-up, so that was good.
Caitlin liked her gifts. I got her the same Ipod Mariah and Terry got me, isn't that funny?
I got Mariah a gift certificate to a spa for a massage.She was very pleased.
Both of the girls were most thrilled with plastic Disney bubble bath like I got for them when whey were two. Who'd a thunk it?
Caitlin followed my old tradition of putting clues to the gifts on the tags, which I thought was cute.
I was blessed by a Christmas miracle. I let go of all my expectations of the day and it was fine.

Christmas night is always at Tom's Mom's ...
My nephew Kelley, the pagan policeman musician played his bagpipes,
Eileen and I wept over the death of her 20 year old cat,
my nieces Maddie and Sydney showed off their jewelry
Judy and I sneaked off for a quick review of the recent happenings with our kids.

I had a mini epiphany at church.
The pastor talked about that
when you can forgive
 you change from being a victim
 to being a hero
 in your life story.
I like that thought.
I wish allmy heroes forgiveness,
Marti

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful and real.  I've found forgiving does more for the forgiver than the forgivee.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I get that about the forgiveness...i need to remember that for myself..
love the pics of the hip young things..makes me smile...oh to be young and carefree again...
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays my friend!   forgiveness works   it helps heal your heart   love you~kbear

Anonymous said...

Glad you all had a great time. Like the thought shared.. I'm living that compared to how I was a year ago. I was actually in the same room with my husband and his piece of trash that helped break up my 24yr marriage and didn't feel like I wanted to kill everyone in the room so to me that means growth in a good way and forgiveness in my heart. Will keep remembering that. Hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year.
Take care and Hugs, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Glad everything turned out well for you and yours. We had a nice on too. Paula

Anonymous said...

Ours is a quiet Christmas this year, our choice though. The cookie fest sounds pretty cool.
As for the forgiveness thing. I totaly get it.
Gaz xxx

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had an awesome Christmas. Yes, friendship is an awesome gift. Forgivness is something that I am still working on.
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

    A very merry Christmas to you and yours. It seems that Grandma and Mariah has the same relationship Becky and Bill does. Oh well. Even when we don't always get along, at least our children understand what family is. Take care and a very happy New Year.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

The party looks like much fun was had by all!  It is so weird to see people outdoors on Christmas...but I guess it was warm enough!  LOL  I like what your pastor said too.  Enjoy the time off from school!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

That IS a good thought.  I like it.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

I just got an email from my sister... apparently, she had a mini epiphany too, and for the first time in possibly 20 years, she had a great Christmas... this despite that her kids live so far away. They all called her, there were no arguments or past grudges brought up. Forgiveness goes a long, long way to reconciling relationships. Actually, it goes all the way! And our Savior Lord taught us that, gave us that... thanks be to God! Cookiefest is a great tradition that your kids are sure to follow with their kids. Bea

Anonymous said...

Love the family photo and you have put a great name to a wonderful tradition...the Cookiefest.  We had one this year for the first time.  It happened because we wanted my mom, in her 70's but spry as ever, not to have to cook cookie like she does each year because of her shoulder pain and surgery she was scheduled to have...so we decided to organize a cookiefest at my sister's house.  My sis has a brand new kitchen and so it happened.  We had a great time and it was very informal...we did rolled out sugar cookies and it was great.  So much creativity..how you get a martian from a snowman cookie was one enlightened result...LOL.. Hope your Christmas was merry and bright.   Maria

Anonymous said...

What fun!

Cookiefest is on hiatus at our house, I regret to say. At ages 24 and 18, my sons this year declined to participate for the first time, and the hubby was never too enthused about it. I'd say we had a pretty good run, considering, and who knows? Maybe they'll get back in the spirit for it one day. Meanwhile, I'm biding my time. Somebody, someday IS going to give me a grandchild.

Your family is beautiful, in every sense of the word. Thanks so much for letting us peek in on you all now and then. I always come away with a smile.

Happy holidays, and a blessed New Year!
Vicki