Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day

It was a rainy day.
It's been so long since it has rained that we didn't complain too much.
We were just soggy.
I woke Caitlin up singing,"You're a Grand Ol' Flag"
I feel she was less than appreciative.
Tori made a Jello dessert.
And we were off to Granny's house.
Simple times,
the same as last year
and the year before
I love being at Granny's house.
I love the way everyone just walks in and no one even looks up when the doorbell rings.
I love the way we are never sure who is related by blood and who has been around so long they are family by default.
Everyone has at least two names they go by.
Everyone has a couple of kids that aren't' theirs tagging along.
A few faces are missing around the table
so we hug a little harder when we say goodbye.
Papa's empty chair....
BK's excitement over the fireworks....
We miss them but in the gentle way you miss someone who was well-loved, so there are no regrets.




So listen with me , this woman who is tired of seeing condos built on beaches I've played on all my life....
My favorite verse of
 "This Land is Your Land"
As I was walking that golden highway
I saw a sign that said "private property"
But on the other side
It didn't say nothin
This land was made for you and me"

All Y'all be independent,now!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a lot of rain but I never complain about rain. The water is really running in the dry creek bed near our house. I like your shirts with the flag. Nice pictures. Paula

Anonymous said...

What great pictures!! Thanks for sharing!!
Happy July 4th!!
Hugs
Carrie

Anonymous said...

That's great!  Brought a tear of pride to my heart for living in this grand country.  De ;)
http://journals.aol.com/erarein63/DesThoughts/

Anonymous said...

It looks as though a wonderful time was had by all! Thanks for sharing! Hope your tomorrow bring happiness along with it!
Katie

Anonymous said...

I am so with you. I do hope that you have a great 4th!
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

{{{ Marti }}}}  It sure looks like a happy 4th was had by all!  

:-D

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

funny and festive entry!!  well done!!

Russ

Anonymous said...

Hope your 4th wasn't to soggy, but I know that feeling of taking the rain when it comes.  I like the way your Holiday sounds like the ways our used to be. Sadly it is no more. Hope you have a wonderful rest of your week.Barb

Anonymous said...

    Happy belated Fourth to you and yours.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Dontcha just love a granny's house. That's the kinda house I wanna be for my family someday. I just never thought I'd be entertaining alone, but that's okay I can handle it.
Take care, Chrissie
http://jourals.aol.com/nay0114/almost-paradise-ii/